How to Start a Mercedes-Benz With a Dead Key Fob Battery
While shoppers in Union City and Milpitas love the convenience and ease of Mercedes-Benz KEYLESS GO® and KEYLESS START®, a common question that comes up is if you can start your vehicle when your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery has died. The answer is yes! Find out how to start your Mercedes-Benz with a metal key with Fletcher Jones Motorcars of Fremont near Newark.
How to Start a Mercedes-Benz with a Metal Key
If your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery died, starting your vehicle is still a snap. Follow these quick steps for any Mercedes-Benz model with a Start/Stop button, including popular models like the C-Class, GLE, and E-Class:
- To unlock the door, remove the metal blade key from your Mercedes-Benz key fob. Use it to manually unlock your Mercedes-Benz. Fair warning, the alarm will go off when you manually open the driver’s door, but there’s no need to worry. Once the key is in the ignition, the alarm should stop.
- Once inside, remove the Engine Start/Stop button from the ignition lock. It should be easy to pull from the ignition.
- Insert your SmartKey® into the ignition. Then press the brake pedal, and make sure the transmission is in the Park position.
- Turn the key in the ignition to start the engine, making sure to release the key as soon as the engine turns over.
- Store the Engine Start/Stop button in a safe place so that you can reinsert it once you change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob. Until then, you can simply use your metal key as described above.
- You’re ready to be on your way in San Jose!
Changing Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
If your battery has died, or if you get a warning message on your instrument cluster saying “Key Battery Low,” it’s time to change your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery. The steps you follow depend on which key model you have. Review our guide to changing your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery, and reach out if you have any questions!
Trust Fletcher Jones Motorcars of Fremont With All Your Service Needs
From instructions on how to start your Mercedes-Benz with a metal key to much more complicated repairs, the certified technicians at the Fletcher Jones Motorcars of Fremont service center are here to help. Just a short drive from Pleasanton and Hayward, we have a high-tech service center and only use genuine OEM parts in our services and repairs. Feel free to contact us today for help with your Mercedes-Benz!